Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Report Abuse   |   Sign In   |   Join or Create a Guest Account
In Memoriam
Moderator(s):
Page 1 of 1
Forum Actions

Topics   Replies Author Latest Post
Vale Cyril Weir (1950 - 2018) 0 M. Doyle On behalf of ILTA I would like pay tribute to Professor Cyril Weir and express our sadness at the news of his death on Saturday 29 September 2018. Cyril was one of the first in our field to write about issues of communicative language testing and went on to produce a comprehensive socio-cognitive framework which has been highly influential in guiding the test development and validation work of his many students and other language testing professionals. Over the course of his career, spanning more than thirty-five years, through his writings and various consultancies he played an important role in forging links between academia and language testing practices in a range of contexts. He worked tirelessly to ensure that academics, practitioners and policymakers had access to the necessary understanding and skills to create and use language tests in an appropriate and professionally responsible manner. His scholarship and services to language assessment were recognized with the ILTA Cambridge Distinguished Achievement Award in 2014 and with an OBE in the 2015 Queen’s Birthday Honours List. I trust that all members of the language testing community who knew Cyril or were familiar with his work will join me in offering condolences to his family and friends, in sharing memories and in expressing sorrow at the loss of this important figure in our field. Cathie Elder, ILTA President
by M. Doyle
Tuesday, October 9, 2018
Association Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal