Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Report Abuse   |   Sign In   |   Join or Create a Guest Account
Vale Cyril Weir (1950 - 2018)
Moderator(s):
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

10/9/2018 at 1:37:04 PM GMT
Vale Cyril Weir (1950 - 2018)

On behalf of ILTA I would like pay tribute to Professor Cyril Weir and express our sadness at the news of his death on Saturday 29 September 2018.

Cyril was one of the first in our field to write about issues of communicative language testing and went on to produce a comprehensive socio-cognitive framework which has been highly influential in guiding the test development and validation work of his many students and other language testing professionals. Over the course of his career, spanning more than thirty-five years, through his writings and various consultancies he played an important role in forging links between academia and language testing practices in a range of contexts. He worked tirelessly to ensure that academics, practitioners and policymakers had access to the necessary understanding and skills to create and use language tests in an appropriate and professionally responsible manner. His scholarship and services to language assessment were recognized with the ILTA Cambridge Distinguished Achievement Award in 2014 and with an OBE in the 2015 Queen’s Birthday Honours List.

I trust that all members of the language testing community who knew Cyril or were familiar with his work will join me in offering condolences to his family and friends, in sharing memories and in expressing sorrow at the loss of this important figure in our field.

Cathie Elder, ILTA President

Last edited Tuesday, October 9, 2018
10/27/2018 at 9:53:26 AM GMT
Cyril's many students and colleagues at the University of Bedfordshire, in the UK language assessment community and around the world will miss Cyril's ability to get straight to the heart of an issue and to find practical answers to complex problems. We are particularly grateful to Cyril for establishing the Centre for English Language Learning and Assessment (CRELLA), which he led until 2015, and for building its international reputation, reflected in the many awards conferred on him. Above all we'll miss the warmth, wit and generosity of spirit that made it such a pleasure to work here. Discussing research, real ale and the fate of the world while strolling with Cyril around the grounds of the university was always a highlight of our day.
You can find an obituary for Cyril at https://www.timeshighereducation.com/people/cyril-weir-1950-2018 and I hope many of you will raise a glass to his memory and share your recollections here.
Tony Green, Director, CRELLA

11/20/2018 at 1:02:12 PM GMT
Cyril tribute

It is amazing that no matter how familiar we are with loss, it is impossible to anticipate what it means to lose a loved one.  Cyril was a colleague, a role model, and a friend.  His passing away is a huge loss to his family, his friends, and the language testing community at large!  He has shaped the field in many areas, mentored countless young professionals, and raised a beer (or two) to celebrate friendships.  Cyril loved a good argument and appreciated a good joke.

Cyril’s graciousness knew no bounds!  It was on display when he accepted/gave the ILTA Distinguished Achievement Award/Lecture.  His talk was full of quotes from his colleagues.  Cyril used his platform to share their voices and contributions.  In meetings, I was on the Aptis Assessment Board with Cyril serving as Chair, he listened actively, spoke carefully, and made sure your input is integrated into the ongoing discussion.  I believe he was all of this because he was sharp, prolific, and comfortable in his own skin.

The forward-moving life is at odds with the sense of grief that dwells on the loss we feel.  Cyril’s passing is a huge loss! 

Micheline Chalhoub-Deville--a friend and a colleague!

Professor, University of North Carolina at Greensboro

President-Elect, International Language Testing Association

Attached Images:

Last edited Tuesday, November 20, 2018
11/20/2018 at 1:05:31 PM GMT
Cyril photos
Photos:

Attached Images:

12/19/2018 at 3:03:41 PM GMT
It was with deep sadness that I received the message that Prof Cyril Weir passed away. On behalf of the European Association for Language Testing and Assessment, I would like to express our sincere condolences to Cyril Weir's family, friends and colleagues.
We will remember Cyril Weir as a person, colleague and friend who contributed greatly to our field and community and we will hold him dearly in our memory.
With deep sadness
Claudia Harsch
Professor, University of Bremen
EALTA president

Association Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal